03 February, 2013

What is this, hide and seek?

Do you remember a few months ago when I mentioned that I'm really not much of a writer when I'm happy? (See: "Catching Up," which will direct you to "Burying the Past.") Well I guess I should throw in the towel because I can't write when I'm sad either. The last few months have been incredibly difficult for me in both my love life and at work, and I refused to find the time or motivation to put it into words.

Because it's the most difficult topic to talk about, I'll just say it and be done with it: I decided to end my relationship with the Giant. He is the most amazing boyfriend I've ever had, and the first boyfriend that my parents have liked since I was in high school. But there were a few essential things missing from the very beginning of our relationship that I thought we could eventually find or create. We both worked very hard to do so, the Giant most of all, but for whatever reason it just wasn't enough. This made me begin to wonder if maybe what's missing can't be found by two people working together, so I've started to put a lot of stock into that shitty little phrase, "Find yourself."

For those of you who know me or have read a single one of my blog posts, this will not come as a shocker: I've never been single. I've been chasing boys since I was old enough to understand that cooties are made up and that having butterflies in my stomach is weird but kinda fun. Now I think that the reason I can't find what I want with the Giant is because I have no idea what I want. I have no idea how to be happy with me.

So far (a whopping 32 hours), it's been pretty difficult to commence with the "finding myself" considering I'm burying myself beneath games on my android, Walmart $5-bin movies, and countless episodes of Castle. Maybe I'll stop hiding later when it doesn't hurt so badly. Or maybe it'll stop hurting so badly when I finally stop hiding and just let myself feel.

At any rate, the other reason I've been monstrously unhappy is because I was beginning to hate my job. For the first time ever, I woke up one day in January and thought, "I do not want to go to work." These words have never passed my lips on a Sunday night, nor have they crossed my mind on a Monday morning. At least, not in earnest. So for the past month I've been cheating on Wells Fargo with another bank (henceforth known as "Bank Name"), going to interviews and even going so far as to accept a new position. Except, when I went in to my boss's office to give him my letter of resignation he said, "Nope!"

Well, not really. He just asked why I was leaving and where I was going. When I told him Bank Name, he asked if I had some time that day to speak with a manager who'd left Bank Name to come to Wells. He had this manager call me on her day off to talk me about the differences between Bank Name and Wells. After hearing my issues with our site, he wanted to remind me that we are changing things up in a big way. The changes are very exciting and I could not be happier to be staying. It's not my place to share what's occurring, I think, until it's actually occurred so I'll just leave it there for now.

Considering the present circumstances, it's a crappy analogy but it's all I've got: Wells Fargo is my boyfriend. I never wanted to leave him, but I felt like it was my only choice. I'd been very unhappy for a few months and things weren't getting better. But then Wells Fargo decided to choose a different path toward making us an independent and self-sustaining site. This is all I've ever wanted from Wells. In August they removed "Interim" from our title, but there was still a lack of permanency that came with not being a Wells Fargo campus. It was a stroke of luck and good timing, but it's working out for me and Wells now.

I wish I could say the same for myself and the Giant. But maybe after I do my soul-searching, something good will happen. And if not, this is the first time I'll openly wish for an ex-boyfriend to find a happiness that surpasses the power of words.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about you and the Giant. I know I only met him once, but I could tell there was something great between the two of you. I do, however, know what it is like to jump from boyfriend to boyfriend. I have only lived on my own for a few months. I hope the space you have given yourself allows you the time you need to heal and find yourself. I promise not to shove any guys in your direction, but if you ever want to Skype let me know. I love you very much and am proud of you for taking this brave step when it could have been very easy to get comfortable where you were. No matter where you work, who you are dating, or where you live remember this: I will be here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about you and e Giant. I do agree, however, that you need to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with anyone else. You are a wonderful person, my fried, and I wish you happiness in whichever route you find yourself in and whichever you choose. (Sorry if this is dupe. Chrome hates me right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beautiful cousin, do not worry or doubt yourself. You are truly doing what is best and what a lot of us young ladies are afraid to do, which is to be alone with ourselves. How silly though, the one person who is always there for us, through thick and thin, from the beginning - through the rockiest of roads - to the very end, who knows us best of all, are in fact, ourselves. Why be so fearful of this person who we have created? Society has always shown us that our species must ultimately find a mate and create offspring as soon as possible. More and more though with our generation the social norm is becoming independent (sometimes reluctantly). You must remind yourself everyday that you are a strong modern woman and so very young... even though the quarter century is approaching faster everyday and to us it is a little on the side of scary as f***. You and I are watching our siblings get married and just like myself I'm sure you are aware of the "you're next!" hints we get from our friends and families. Sure, we are next but that "next" will happen when we are ready not when it is expected. I adore you and although having to let someone so important go is seemingly the hardest thing you have ever done it is also the smartest thing you have ever done. What I have always done in your position is drown my sorrows in dollar movies and hope that the night ends and tomorrow disappears quickly. Allow yourself the mourning, boxes of tissues, and self destruction of pints of ice cream and sappy romantic films for a week or two then do yourself a HUGE favor and take yourself out on a date. Silly? Uncomfortable? Just a tad. Necessary and empowering? Absolutely! May it be breakfast, lunch or dinner get snazzy, grab a book and go out to a restaurant. I suggest dinner and drinks. Today is the start of a beautiful new relationship with someone you will always love and will never get enough of, yourself. There will inevitably be another relationship but for now let yourself avoid the couples and blind dates. Life can be really fun when you do not concern yourself with another person's feelings, schedule, etc. Keep in mind that the best things never happen when you just wait for them to start happening.

    All my cousinly love,
    Heather

    P.S. I am so very proud of you <3

    ReplyDelete