15 December, 2013

What's the Scoop? (12:15)

This week in the news... there was a lot going on. I know I promised you that I would only bring you inspiring and informative stories, but there haven't been a whole lot that I've come across. However, I can promise a little hilarity and a lot of mind-boggling entertainment.

First of all, I'd just like to say congratulations to CNN, because they've done it again. Last week it was big news that the Pope once held a job as a bouncer, and this week Obama takes a selfie. While I do agree that taking a selfie during the memorial service of Nelson Mandela was tasteless, but still harmless, what CNN had to say about it was pretty stupid.

CNN states, "Nelson Mandela's memorial service Tuesday was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime event where dozens of world leaders join thousands of South Africans in a massive stadium, all to honor the anti-apartheid icon. Instead, it turn into a media sensation...about a selfie."

Yes. And bravo, you fueled it by writing your own story about a selfie. I also think you're being a little dramatic. Truly, there is no "supposed to be" about it. The event still took place, and all of our leaders came together to honor the life of a great man. How about, instead of writing about how tragic it is that this once-in-a-lifetime event (which, I can assure you, wasn't completely undone by President Obama's momentary indiscretion [one of my favorite phrases, thank you Kristen Stewart), you write about the actual event?

I wait with baited breath to see what gems you come up with next week.

Somewhere in the USA, where journalists are slightly smarter, there was different news on Mandela's memorial service. Unfortunately, it still wasn't about how wonderful the service was, nor did it at all commemorate South Africa's late and great hero. It was about the jack-ass standing to the left of the speaker who clearly has never learned a lick of sign language.

I read a couple of stories about this, including the account of deaf actress Marlee Matlin. From watching the video, I learned that facial expressions are a huge part of sign language. I watched the video of Thamsanqa Jantjie, the false interpreter, and I did note that his face never changed, and he seemed to be doing the same motions over and over again, maybe with some occasional, slight variances. He also wasn't signing a lot of the time that the speaker was talking. Even though I've read multiple articles, I'm still not sure how this man was appointed to sign at Mandela's memorial.

On Monday of this week, the NY Times informed online gamers that their sacred grounds have been overrun with spies! As a former gamer, I find this to be quite awesome. Were I still in the fantastical and bright land of WoW, I would probably be drilling every newcomer, "Are you a spy? Are you? You can tell me, I won't tattle."

The reason the American and British spies are infiltrating our interwebs is because it's believed that "terrorist or criminal networks could use the games to communicate secretly." So there is just as much chance that gamers may run into spies as criminals or terrorists. Good thing my parents taught me from a young age to practice safety when giving out information online.

And, lastly, I have for you my favorite story of the week. I'm sorry to admit that this story made me laugh, but I can't feel all that bad about myself because every time I re-tell it, the person who is hearing the story also laughs. Maybe because they are uncomfortable. Or maybe because they think it's just as ridiculous as I do.

Reportedly, a couple was out Christmas shopping at a mall. The man was getting irritated because they'd been there for over 5 hours. He was telling his companion that they have more bags that they can carry, and it was time to leave. The woman replied that there was a shoe store nearby with a very good sale. Last store, she promised. He argued with her that she already owns more shoes than she could possibly wear in her lifetime, and when she accused him of killing her Christmas spirit, the man drop the bags and threw himself over a balcony. Because that is the logical reaction. 

Clearly, there was more of an ongoing issue between these two than the media reported. Otherwise, he might have just thrown the bags down and walked away, or said, "Carry them yourself," or, "We're through." Instead, he chose to make a very bold, very irreversible statement. My bet is that the woman he left behind will take the advice of Robin Scherbatsky and never go to the mall again. I don't think I ever would.

Before we part, I'd like to leave you with this article. It's more pictures than words, so if you have 5 minutes, click it!



Sources


No comments:

Post a Comment