22 December, 2013

What's the Scoop? (12:22)

Before I begin, I have to apologize. I didn't do a very good job keeping up with the news this week. I usually check the news on my lunch break, but this week I didn't take too many of those because of the busy holiday season. However, I think I caught some of the bigger stories, so here I am to throw my opinion in with those of PolicyMic, TIME, The New York Times, CNN, and Fox News.

As a continuation from last week, I'd like to share this article entitled, "8 Photos You Didn't See From Obama's Trip to South Africa." Author Nina Ippolito shared my opinion that most major news providers took the wrong approach when writing about Mandela's memorial, as they seemed to focus only on the negatives. Ippolito shed a positive light on selfie-shamed Obama, sharing photos of him spending quality time with George and Laura Bush, and Hilary Clinton on Air Force One on the way to the service, among other important moments.

Also continuing with another of last week's themes, it seems like the government's creative ways of catching terrorists doesn't stop with infiltrating the world of online gaming. Now the National Security Agency is trying to collect data on phone calls. All of them. Every single American phone call is, err, was, being documented. Luckily, it sounds like the NSA is going to be ordered to cease and desist considering this is an incredibly unconstitutional invasion of privacy.

We've come to, what I believe is going to remain, a very rare moment where I am quite proud of CNN. Not only did they write a story that I wanted to read, but they were actually kind of witty when writing their lead of, "Ho ho - huh?" Before I get into the story, I'd like to preface it with a confession: I've said some dumb things. Just this Monday morning, I had this conversation:

Me: Good morning, this is Kelly calling you back from... Oh, God! Where do I work? Chicago Title!
Woman: ... Are you alright? Do I need to hold while you get some coffee?

I've also heard some very dumb things. For example, "What state is Delaware in?"

But to hear about a teacher telling a child, "You can't be Santa because you're black," is so unbelievable that there isn't a word for this degree of stupidity. Fortunately, he did the right thing and reported himself to the principal, and action has been taken. As in, they took the kid out of that teacher's class so the poor little guy doesn't have to put up with him anymore.


Last but not least, I certainly couldn't post this blog without saying something about the recent Duck Dynasty fiasco. While I can't defend Phil's beliefs (because homosexuality isn't a sin), I also understand he's very old fashioned, very Christian, and very crass. Is anyone at A&E actually surprised and shocked? No, they're not. They're just disappointed and embarrassed that they weren't around to censor him when GQ was allegedly speaking with Phil "off the record." Yes, because that has happened. Once. Maybe.

The thing is, while what Phil said was indecent, he also has preached that, "I would never treat anyone with disrespect because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other." I feel that this Lennon-esque sentiment is a message that should spread throughout the world. Religious or not, racism, sexism, homophobia, and all other forms of oppression are getting us nowhere as a society. It's a ridiculous waste of emotion and energy that holds us back, and causes so much unnecessary unhappiness. 

Homophobia has particularly piqued my interest as of late, as it seems to have done around the world with many other millions of people. We are progressing toward a world of tolerance and acceptance, which also means happiness and less violence. Before this, the big pushes were for racial and gender equality (though the argument can't be made that we're completely done), and I wonder what will come after. Hopefully, "after" comes very soon, because I would like to see a whole lot less of this:

Probably because you were so stupid in life that St. Peter
couldn't justify letting you into heaven.
I believe in this woman's approach, which, much like Phil's statement post-GQ, is "agree to disagree." What's kind of depressing is that sometimes the LGBT activists turn around and meet the word "f**" (I can't even type it) with "zealot" or "bigot," or some other equally hateful word...or string of words. If you want an example, look in the comments section for "JesusWasABrownGuy," who has some particularly intolerant things to say about Phil, and all Christians for that matter. I feel like it doesn't happen very often, at least a lot less often than gay hating, but it needs to not happen at all. You can't win a war against hate by being hypocritical.

Then again, sometimes, when I see signs like the one above, I can't help but have the same knee-jerk reaction. Because I also believe in Morgan Freeman's words.



Sources



No comments:

Post a Comment